Founded in 1705, The John Stevens Shop specializes in the design and execution of one-of-a-kind inscriptions in stone. The company’s architectural and memorial lettering is generated by hand with a broad edged brush in the manner of the great Roman inscriptions. Refined and developed for centuries, this standard is based on the practiced work of hand-and-eye directed by a keen grasp of form and aesthetics. Letters are carved by hand in a broad range of materials with hammers, mallets and chisels. Through these methods graphic and calligraphic designs can be given true sculptural form. The application of computer science is also used in the company’s work in the design and execution of custom graphics and typefaces required by contemporary production methods.